When you think of the word “health” what comes to your mind?
If you’re anything like me you might first think of diet, exercise and weight loss. These three are very important- especially when it comes to maintaining a healthy heart- but there are other lifestyle choices to consider when you think “health”.
According to the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), heart disease is the leading cause of death for men and women in the United States. Research shows you can lower your risk, particularly if you team up with family, friends or co-workers.
Consider these five tips that can help your heart, body and mind:
- Move more throughout your day. Aim for at least 150 minutes each week of physical activity. Build up to activity that gets your heart beating faster and leaves you a little breathless. If you’re busy, try breaking your daily activity into 10-minute chunks.
- Make walking dates
- Join a pickup soccer or basketball game
- Join a fitness class with your neighbor
- Grab a loved one and dance in your kitchen
- Find heart healthy activities in the Triangle here
- Adopt the (DASH) eating plan, which is free and scientifically proven to lower high blood pressure and improve cholesterol levels.
- Invite friends to cook up heart healthy recipes together
- Start a lunch club at work and trade recipe ideas
Stop Smoking– even occasionally
- Set a quit date and let those close to you know. Even if you’ve smoked for years, quitting now will help! If you’ve tried quitting in the past, consider what helped and what made it harder.
- Ask your family and friends for support or join a support group.
- Find resources and connect with a trained counselor at 1-800-QUIT-NOW or smokefree.gov
- Sleeping 7-8 hours each night helps improve heart health. Try going to bed and waking up at the same time each day. Getting a 30-minute daily dose of sunlight may also improve sleep.
- Resist that late afternoon nap
- Turn off all screens at a set time nightly
- Relax by listening to music, reading or taking a bath
- Try relaxation therapy and increase physical activity to manage stress. De-stressing may also help improve sleep.
- Join a friend or family member in a relaxing activity like walking, yoga or meditation every day.
- Talk to a qualified mental health provider or someone you trust
Be a Wise Healthcare Consumer
Our local Wake Forest community houses many highly trained healthcare professionals and vendors that can help you in your resolve to lead a healthier life! View a list of tomorrow’s attendees here. We all can’t wait to meet you and help you create habits to lead a healthier and more enjoyable life!
Aging Care Matters: Working with Aging Care Matters families save Stress, Money and Time! As professional care managers with over 40 years’ combined experience we know how to navigate the complex medical care system and maximize the services and resources available for our clients. We don’t accept referral fees or kick backs so every referral we recommend is objective and based on our experience and working relationships! We offer free 30 minute phone consultations and our mission is to make a positive impact on the clients we serve.
Kerr Family YMCA: For more than 160 years, the YMCA of the Triangle has strengthened the very foundations of the community we serve. We’re proud of our diverse community and are passionate about being a positive force for good. We serve people from all walks of life in the Triangle area through YMCA memberships and programs. We’re committed to nurturing the potential of children through Youth Development, improving the nation’s health and well-being by promoting Healthy Living, and fostering a sense of Social Responsibility by providing opportunities to give back and support neighbors.
LoginClinics: Is Wake Forest’s first and only telemedicine practice. Our mission is to combat the rising cost of healthcare and inconvenience through virtual house calls to deliver cost-effective, easily accessible and high-quality direct healthcare. Our medical subscription plans make staying on top of you and your family’s medical care easy and affordable.
PhysioFit of NC:Drs Harrison and Danielle Vaughan treat pain and help you stay active with individual PT and semi-private fitness classes. Their specialized one-on-one treatment help you return to the activities you love faster.
Inner Health Chiropractic: Dr. Mary Taylor is dedicated to helping you achieve your wellness objectives — combining skill and expertise that spans the entire chiropractic wellness spectrum. Dr. Taylor’s patient receive the finest quality care through the use of modern chiropractic equipment and technology.
McPherson Family Eye Care: McPherson Family Eye Care is proud to serve the Wake Forest community and we love getting involved with events in the area. Being a family-run practice gives us the chance to be more attentive and take our time with each patient, delivering knowledgeable and friendly care. Our doctors are trained to provide treatment for all types of conditions such as dry eye, glaucoma, low vision, specialty contacts, myopia control, vision therapy and ocular emergencies.
Perkins Counseling: Voted “Best of the Best” in Wake Forest for consecutive years, Perkins offer counseling services for children, individuals, couples and families. They have also just opened a partial hospital program for less restrictive yet intensive treatment services for teens experiencing significant and serious mental or emotional issues.
Wake County EMS: Offers a variety of programs for youth and adults interested in learning more about the EMS profession. Real ambulance and paramedics on site for live demonstrations!
Youngsville Pharmacy: Youngsville has a new pharmacy with cheaper prices, home delivery and personalized med management!
Navan MindBodySpirit: Life is meant to be good and Navan is making that possible! When it comes to Navan products, it isn’t so much about what they put in them, it’s it’s what their products clear out- toxins, pollutants and impurities- to create a clean, healthy body.
Just One More Bite: Chef Michael Saunders creates new and exciting menus that are prepared in his Raleigh kitchen and delivered right to your door weekly! All recipes are made from scratch using local and fresh ingredients with a wide variety of menus ranging from Zone, low-carb, paleo and dairy-free.
Heritage Audiology: Is offering FREE hearing screenings at the fair! They can evaluate for hearing loss, tinnitus, as well as provide treatment. Hearing loss has been found to be linked to dementia, memory loss and social isolation. Don’t suffer in silence- get your hearing tested today!
The Stretch Zone: The stretch zone isolates and manipulates your muscles to provide the perfect stretch using special equipment and scientific protocols. They have monthly stretch memberships and targeted protocols to help you live a better, less tense life.
Sole Dimensions: Is a specialized retail shoe store with products that help maximize sports performance and relieve foot pain. They offer foot assessments and comprehensive plans to improve patient’s ability to walk, run and move pain-free. They help take your soles to a new dimension!
About LoginClinics- Founded by Jaclyn Qualter, a nurse practitioner and health care mentor, in September 2019, LoginClinics provides its fee schedule on its website at www.LoginClinics.com along with FAQs on how to use the online service. More information can be found on its social media www.facebook.com/TelemedicineNC or @loginclinics on Instagram.
Author: Jaclyn Qualter, Founder, Nurse Practitioner and Healthcare Mentor